Wednesday 2 November 2011

Hallowe'en is awesome

I do love Hallowe'en. I love the history and ideas behind it and the simple joy of the rituals, from pumpkin carving to scary stories to dressing up and seeing kids going out with their parents to trick or treat.

Adam is amazing to be with at Hallowe'en. He becomes a kid again - we've carved four pumpkins since Friday and watched at least seven horror movies. He's so committed he got angry over leaving some fake spiderwebs at home when we headed to his gig this weekend.

My own favourite part is the costumes - I love to make them, though they never save you the money you think they will. I made parts of both Adam's costume and mine this year. 

I was Ursula the Sea-witch (who is the coolest of all the Disney villains) and Adz was Death. 
Death and Ursula. Perfect match.

I made his cowl and my skirt out of sheets from Primark. Proper fabric is not easy to find at short notice if you work 9-5 in London. His cowl was a dressing gown with added hood - he went out in it on Monday night too and terrified the small children, poor things. 

My skirt was a bitty more complicated.  It took two evenings, much in-the-head planning and a LOT of alteration in the making. It's made of sixteen panels which turn into tentacles at the end, which are stuffed. The purple turns up to become an inside lining. 

"Poor unfortunate souls..."
My tentacles, complete with suckers

I had fun doing it and would make a million improvements - but it's nice to know I can do things like this without a pattern, and I plan on doing lots more. 

Adam's gig was... not the best. Serious tuning issues thanks to a broken string just before the show. But he always looks great on stage, if a bit mental - as you can see on this pic, which I can't insert. And it was a great crowd. 

I've rambled enough. Farewell for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment